Wednesday, July 30, 2008

new stuff

Yesterday my parents' caregiver finally walked out. She was being worked extremely hard, and finally something went over her threshold. She left all her clothes there, so maybe she'll be back, but I suspect that will happen only after she finds another job, which shouldn't be hard because she is so competent at so many things. She is a trained Chinese cook in addition to her administrative abilities and experience caring for elderly people.
I doubt that the owners of the house will be able to continue caring for my parents adequately, and I know from experience that they cannot find anyone to work for them at what they want to pay who is competent.
I suppose I ought to start looking around for another place. Damn.
We might go wherever she goes, but there are so many places we can't afford, and it will probably be one of those, if she even stays in this business. If I were her, I wouldn't.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad news, indeed. I found the business of caregivers a never-ending problem with my parents. New caregivers came and went because it is work that burns out a person. Seems to me that it is up to the owners of the facility to find a replacement. Meanwhile, I don't think you should move your parents; they need to familiarity of the place. A new face and voice, they can get used to.

Anonymous said...

Darn, not good news. Sorry!

Beth

Robbi N. said...

She came back, and amazingly, things are okay there! We were saved this time because we know from experience that the owner is unwilling to pay a decent wage and the people he has tried to get in the past have been stupid beyond belief and incapable of taking care of anyone. Or else they are neglectful or even mean. We have been in this place for 3 1/2 years now, and we've seen people come and go, but this person is the manager of the place. She deals directly with the owners and gets more money than they would be willing to give someone else. They know each other from the Philipines, I think.