Thursday, September 18, 2008

Someone Else's Kid

Today I finally took that student to the Disabled Students Office... you know, the one I think is autistic. He won't do anything he's told or advised to do himself, including homework or getting assistance. Apparently, no one at home helps him either. He doesn't know how to use a computer, so he tells me himself, so he can't pick up the emails, assignments, and texts I post online. It makes it very very difficult to work with him and help him to pass this class, even though I believe he has the native ability to do that, beneath all of this socialization stuff.
So I had the rest of the students get into groups and I asked him to come with me to the Disabled Students' Office, where he will be tested for a program that will provide assistance. Someone will make sure he learns how to use a computer, or if that's not possible, will help him to download and answer email and other things he receives for his classes. So that's a relief, but the draft is due next Tuesday, and he doesn't have a clue how to write it. The thesis was due today, but he didn't know how to write it, even though I went over that pretty thoroughly. Of course, the sample was online, but I printed up a copy for him too. I don't think he is able to verbalize what he knows. He may indeed know much more than he thinks. And he won't agree to a time outside of class to meet with me.
But I'm doing what I can do, even if that isn't much.
And also today, I came home for the second time in about a month to the smell of weed in my kitchen. I asked Jeremy if that was pot I smelled. He said no... he burned some eggs. Same thing he said last month. I've never known him to cook anything that wasn't done in a microwave, so I didn't believe him. This time he called me after he left the house for class and told me he was smoking, and that he did it about 3 times per week because it helped his stress, also that he's throwing up again. The psychiatrist talked to him about this... it's because of anxiety, but he isn't willing to take meds for this problem or become more aware of what's making him anxious, so there's nothing we can do about it right now.
Naturally, I said I thought he was medicating his anxiety with pot, but he can't see that right now. He'll have to come to that conclusion by himself, when it becomes too embarassing or difficult to be puking every day or so without understanding what it's all about. It took me years to deal with my anxiety. I'm sure he'll be like me in that way.
But I told him that unless I saw the problem of smoking weed instead of dealing with his anxiety another way getting worse, I wouldn't discuss it with my husband. Right now, it's probably not as bad as a lot of other things he could be doing, and I appreciate his honesty in telling me about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is so much on your platter, Robbi, so many people who need you to make the best decision.

Robbi N. said...

That's true. But I'm sure in this I'm like a lot of people.
I don't like what I'm seeing with Jeremy. He has given up everything he loved in the past... baseball, working with kids and disabled people, saying he didn't want all the responsibility and that he wasn't ready to deal with it. He says he never liked photography, which he was so good at, or ceramics, which he was also good at. In short, he's not interested in anyone or anything, and is becoming just another kid who sits around playing video games and smoking weed.
But he is working and going to school, and doesn't skip out on either of those responsibilities. If I see him beginning to, I will come down on him, but not yet. I also talked to R. about this, though I asked him not to discuss it with Jeremy yet.