Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Darkest Before the Yeah Yeah!

This morning I was feeling down. The prospect of having to choose the kind of pension R would take will mean we have to read the future in our crystal ball. Will the Republicans win the election this fall? If so, best to stick with the insurance we have and take the relatively low monthly pension. If not, go for broke with the payout, which we would rather do because it gives us a chance to invest the money. But I have "pre-existing conditions"--inherited hearing problems and very mild thyroid issues. Otherwise, I am healthy. In my doc's words, I am much more healthy than most of her much younger patients because I eat well, exercise, and take very good care of myself. My parents lived to be almost 94. What kind of risk am I, seriously?
But I can't get a decently priced insurance policy, so unless Obama's health care policies go into effect, we must stick with what we have. But how to know that?
Aside from that, I am hanging in limbo on some employment issues, waiting to hear whether I will get interviews for jobs I've applied for, etc. And I'm not having much luck getting readings so I can sell my book to the local community.
But I went to yoga this morning and hoped all the way there would be something in my email box about one of these issues. There was. At least I am less in employment limbo about one of those positions! However, I still don't have a place to read.

5 comments:

Marly Youmans said...

Which one?

Readings are tough for chapbooks. Band together with one or two others, maybe?

I'd be super-cautious about choosing based on a single election! Especially this one.

Robbi N. said...

If the ACA goes through, it would be impossible to roll it back. It's almost impossible now because the insurance industry wants the act and the health care system has been reorganized to fit it. But the political will of a large (and I think misguided) portion of the country for some reason is dead set against it.
The U.S. is full of kooks.

Robbi N. said...

But we don't have a choice about making a choice. We have to do either one thing or the other. If we take the monthly plan, we will have very little money to live on, especially me, after R is gone, assuming I don't get a good long-lasting job.
So we'd like to take the pay out, but it's very scary!

Marly Youmans said...

What do you mean, gone? You have the right to accept his ss for your retirement rather than your own, you know.

Robbi N. said...

I explained this to you in email. But I will say here that the state of CA is not so well off right now. They might decide to yank the benefits (at least the insurance) at any time. Best to take them all before that could happen, but getting insurance is iffy, as you know.