Friday, April 27, 2012

Upcoming

Next week, the synagogue will host its first writer's night. There are many people who write, most quite casually, as a sideline to their ordinary gigs. But there are also a few, a very few, like me, who are writers who write and publish and are serious about the whole affair. Friday nights are few, and most are already scheduled long before they roll around, as much as a year ahead of time. But I guess there was a spare one, and the Rabbi decided to fill it with writers. At first he said to give him 4 poems or a short piece of prose that was related to Judaism or spirituality. I did. But he had also read my yoga book, and wanted me to read one of those too. Soon there were 12 people on the schedule. Having been to my share of open readings, I could have told him that wouldn't work too well. Too many people; too many pieces. Today I got a note that we were down to one piece each. Well that's okay. Though of course I'd love to be the featured reader,or at least to read the 4 pieces I chose for the occasion, I'll just sit tight till the open readings I take part in remind people that I exist, and they'll give me a feature. Hope so.

4 comments:

Marly Youmans said...

One is infinitely more than none!

Robbi N. said...

Yes, that's true.

marly said...

Maybe it'll evolve into more than one night...

Robbi N. said...

Yes. The Rabbi said he will make another night where those of us who want to can read more.