Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Purim (too many hamentashen)

While the rest of the world celebrates Easter, we Jews go about our ancient iconoclastic ways and celebrate (this year) Purim. Purim is the origin of all the carnivals celebrated in the Christian world, and like other Jewish holidays, it is about how the Jews survived yet another attempt to wipe them all out. I always wondered when I was growing up why everyone was always trying to kill us off. It explains why the doctrine of the "chosen people" grew up. I hate that idea, actually, and belong to a branch of Judaism where it is not accepted (Reconstructionism).
Anyhow, Purim is based on the story of Esther, set in ancient Persia, where that particular genocide attempt took place. The heroine, who foiled the attempt with her beauty, brains, and bravery, is Esther, who attracted the eye of the rather stupid king Ahasheurus, whose counselor, Hamen, gives hamentashen their name.
These are triangular butter cookies with a filling, usually about palm-sized. I tried taking a picture of the ones I made, which are filled with nutella--chocolate hazelnut spread. I made them that way because I can't eat chocolate, and I had eaten way too many of the ones I made with apricot previously. They didn't turn out well (they didn't remain triangular, and unfolded flat because I didn't leave the dough in the fridge long enough).
Purim services consist of a reading of the story of Esther, the Megillah. You've heard of the whole megillah? That's it. People dress in costumes, and in traditional Jewish communities, get fall-down drunk and tell raunchy jokes. In my community, it's a time for little kids to dress up like kings and queens and bad guys and parade around.
It's refreshing in such a traditionally sexist tradition to have a woman be the hero for a change, even if it's a beauty contest that gives her a chance to save the Jewish people. She is one of several prominent and not-so-prominent women in Jewish lore that are noteworthy. These include women like Pharoah's daughter, who plucked Moses and his basket out of the Nile, and Moses' sister Miriam, and the midwives who saved babies marked for slaughter in that same story. Supposedly, the flight from Egypt never actually occured because the Jews, it seems, were not captives in Egypt, in actuality, or at least there's no evidence that they were. Perhaps it was elsewhere in the region; some speculate it was Babylon. I'm not one of those people who goes looking for the literal ark, so it doesn't really matter to me. It's a good story anyhow, that resonates today.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your Hamentaschen is beautiful! And I love your storytelling--thank you.

Robbi N. said...

You're welcome. I'll give you the recipe if you want.

Anonymous said...

Hi Robbi--

Wished you a very lively Purim elsewhere but am glad to find you talking about the day here. I like the whole idea of Purim, especially the reading about Esther and wearing masks and drinking wine!

Interesting. I don't at all mind the idea of the Jews as "chosen." Perhaps it is what they were chosen for that interests me. Were they simply "chosen," or were they at last (after much ancient muddling-about and bothering God with the human inability to follow rules and do what's right) the chosen channel by which monotheism poured into the world and transformed it? That is, were they chosen to change the world and become un-chosen?

Actually yesterday was Maundy Thursday and today is Good Friday (founded by a very iconoclastic Jew) and thus a solemn high day--not at all a feast day for Christians. Anybody celebrating Easter now is wildly off the mark.

Ah, to have a few of Robbi's apricot hamentashen!

Robbi N. said...

Hi Marly. Thanks for the good wishes, and I wish you (and everyone who celebrates it) the best of Easters! It is a lovely holiday.
I think your take on why Jews were supposed to be "chosen" is right on; personally, I always saw it as being chosen to suffer, to be the brunt of everyone else's boot. And I don't care much for that, as you can imagine! But yes, we are supposed to take on the task of "tikkun olam," mending what is broken and raising all that is flawed to its original, intended perfection.

Robbi N. said...

By the way, I have done nothing really for Purim this year. Too busy shlepping my parents around. Today I took my dad to be tested. More about that later.

Robbi N. said...

Marly,
I thought about this, and I should say that what made the Jews chosen is the fact that God chose them to give the Torah. That's what makes us "the people of the Book."