Tuesday, March 4, 2008

arrgghh

The flu season is upon us, and although mom's pneumonia seems to be improving, my dad's whatever it is apparently is not. After I took mom to her oncology appt. at the beach (about an hour away for people like me who do not drive on freeways), I had to come back and ponder what to do about dad. In the end, I took him to the Veterans' clinic, about 3 miles away. I figured they did not take walkins, but I really did not feel I could sit all night in the emergency room after a full day of work and a visit to another doctor. So I took a chance, and the sympathetic women at the Veterans' clinic, which is new and still not heavily trafficked, took him in. He was so tired he almost fell over as they weighed him, his eyes swollen shut like a baby bird's. The physician's asst. talked to him as though he were a moron, and while he's lots of things (manipulative, sly, etc.) he isn't that. He doesn't wear his hearing aids anymore though because his hearing seems to have worsened and we can't afford a new pair and thus I suppose wore a clueless expression. He didn't have pneumonia, and he didn't get any cough medicine, but he'll be going back there on Friday. I won't be taking him though.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a picture of you standing on your head?

Beth

Anonymous said...

Oh geez, they could have at lest given your dad something strong for the cough, maybe some prednesone to make him feel less terrible. I've sorry. How well I recognize the old man at the scales.

Love the photos!! Keep them coming!

Robbi N. said...

No Beth. I have to get someone to take it. I do stand on my head every day for a while, so there should be plenty opportunity.

Robbi N. said...

Thanks Lou. I thought they were a little unfair too, but he takes so many medications I guess they were worried about that.