Thursday, November 20, 2008

Mom's New Shrink

I took my mom to an appointment with her new psychiatrist this afternoon, quite late, and managed to get totally turned around and lost. After three efforts to find the building, I finally stumbled into the correct office ten minutes late and had to fill out forms. But we eventually spoke to the doctor, and my first impression of him on the telephone was right. He was very nice and very perceptive. Much better than the doctor she was seeing before, whom I found to be cold and uncaring. She didn't like him either, and used to complain that there was no use going to see him, that he didn't do anything. I think she was right. This doctor is actually thinking about what he can do to help her. Some people should not work with elderly people.
Afterwards I took her to a deli to have a sandwich because she is not eating anything except candy and cream cakes. I ordered an enormous hot cornbeef sandwich for her, but she didn't eat it at all, only a couple of bites. Then I had the waitress pack it up and took it home. I was upset because I knew she would eat junk instead, and she did. But I guess at her age, she has the right.
I came home drained and exhausted and just wanted to get away from her and go home. I will just jump into bed and done with it for today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's a hug, just for you.

Anonymous said...

I hope this man has a couple of tricks in his hat to help ease your mom's suffering.

Robbi N. said...

Thanks Lou. I know you understand how I feel. I also hope he can help her a little. The medication he prescribed, a generic for Remeron, will increase her appetite. I hope she doesn't take to gnawing on wallpaper.
By the way, on an unrelated subject, how are you liking the anthology we're reading for Bookies?