Monday, November 10, 2008

Stuck

I'm trying to write a story and I am really stuck. I decided that this character was going to commit a crime, though I am not sure whether he is going to outright kill his family or just find an ingenious way to get them off his back that doesn't involve killing them. Either would work. I keep adding information and detail up to the point where I have to make up my mind, but I just can't make myself go any further. I know how it will end though.
This has never happened to me before because my poems are usually so small that they don't generally have twists and turns. They go straight where they are going, or else they "tell it slant," like Dickinson said, and they don't commit to a definite direction, but leave several sort of floating out there. This is a new experience for me. One day I will just have to make a decision. I can always erase that day's work, or save it for something else. That's the good thing about writing that we don't get with life.

No comments: