Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thanksgiving?

I am getting to dislike holidays like Thanksgiving because they make me realize just how inadequate I am as a housekeeper. I love to cook and used to entertain quite a bit, giving a yearly Chanukah party for which I cooked for days. That was when I lived in a place half the size of our current digs. But somehow, it was far less messy than this place, where cascades of paper threaten to bury us.That was when Jeremy was little and his toys were everywhere. Now we ought to have much more room, but we don't. It may have been because of the way things were laid out, or perhaps it was the fact that that place had a huge linen closet built into the wall, while this place doesn't have one. The rooms here are narrow also, which makes it hard to squeeze the computer and the dining table into the same niche, and the kitchen is the size of a small closet.

I think I am afraid that the reason I have become far messier and less able to handle things organizationally is because I might be getting dementia like my mom. Her dementia took a really really long time to get as bad as it is. But I am too afraid to have it checked out. That is probably foolish; perhaps something could be done about it. But perhaps it couldn't. I wouldn't want to know if it couldn't.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robbi,

You have a nice size living room. She should use some of that space for your computer desk. Use the space near your enrtance to the right wall.. Your living room, has lots of space from what I remember.

Beth

Anonymous said...

That's very brave of you to admit your fear, Robbi. What a haunting dread, but the evidence right now is merely that your house is too messy for guests. Can you clean it up? Can you clean it up as evidence to yourself of good health?

I'm betting on you.

Robbi N. said...

I have tried and tried to clean it up. I don't seem capable. It just gets worse.
RE: the right wall, that's where we do exercises. We don't have an exercise room in this complex, so we have to make use of the only space we have in the house. Richard and I both use it. Even Jeremy sometimes does.
There is no doubt though that if I moved things around, there would be more room. I might talk to Richard and Jeremy about me bringing someone in to help me do that. There are organization counselors (and some may even be covered by insurance). I can talk to my therapist about it.