Sunday, May 25, 2008

Fear and Loathing in a Nissan Sentra

I just got back from my first ride with my son on the freeway. He has been driving for about 5 months, but I have never gone with him on the freeway before. But today, on the way back from the Memorial Weekend Baseball tournament, held at Golden West College, I had no choice but to go with him as he drove back home to go to work after playing the tournament. It was an exciting game. I barely wondered what inning it was. His team won, and he contributed one run and a number of plays from 2nd base to the win. It seems that we will qualify to play in tomorrow's finals, albeit in 4th or 5th place. I will probably not get to go see the game because my parents are impatient for me to come see them, as I have not done that this weekend, having spent the weekend watching Jeremy play ball. My dad no longer has the desire to watch him play; it's too uncomfortable and the games are too long. My mom wouldn't know what was going on in the field, even if she were in her right mind. So I guess I'll miss the finals tomorrow.
Jeremy is kind of touchy, which is putting it lightly. His Tourette Syndrome and borderline rage make it difficult to make any kinds of comment at all about his driving or much of anything else.
So when he began to drive 85 mph, even though the freeway was pretty empty, I started to feel as though I was going to freak out. I very calmly (I thought) told him to slow down, whereupon he went ballistic, and I was sorry I opened my mouth, but he did slow down, blessedly. All this while, he was driving one-handed. Now I know that he was keeping a careful eye on the road, but one-handed 85 mph driving does not seem like the best idea, to put it mildly. And he says that he would think nothing of answering the cellphone at such a time; he does not have a hands-free phone because he won't use one. He's going to have to get ticketed a couple of times before he quits doing this. Let's hope it's a ticket and not an accident.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I am speechless. Just let me know when your son is driving so I can stay off the road.