Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day when your kid is grown up

Today was Mother's Day, which means that I was technically being feted by my family, especially my son. He gave me a rose and a card and graced me with his presence at dim sum lunch today. That was great; he so seldom spends time with us over a table these days. But it was hard for him, almost painful, I think. He rolled his eyes a lot.
I have to remember what it was like to be a teenager. He will be 18 soon, but he's a kid. If anything, he thinks like a kid younger than he is, maybe 16, but able to drive, working, and graduating from high school.
He'll grow up in his own time. Meanwhile, he's taking on responsibility and dealing with it the best he can. I guess that's all any of us can do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep hugging him so that when he comes out of this adolescent haze, he will know that you still like him. So funny and so difficult.

Robbi N. said...

It's probably just that, but given that Jeremy and I have always been so much alike and had special friction between us, it is possible that it is more than that, and will last longer. But I will indeed hug him.