Friday, May 23, 2008

One of those days

Yesterday was a hard day for lots of us. As Lou says on her blog, the end of the semester is a shock for many students, who stand shocked before us when they are told they haven't fulfilled their obligations for the semester. Those students will have another whole semester of redoing the class to ponder this fact. Then there are those who have legitimate reasons for lateness or who believed they had fulfilled the requirements in good faith and somehow fell short; the instructor must then extend a hand, which I did, yesterday, and now I have a paper to grade and a grade change to make, with my new semester beginning on Tuesday evening.
But school wasn't the extent of the problems or even its major source yesterday. It rained, which is very odd for this time of year in this part of the country, especially rain like yesterday's, an honest to God thunder storm!!! And where are my umbrellas? Nowhere to be found, I'm afraid.
That means that the fire-scorched areas in the hills, where my friend Reb and her family live, are again flooded, and they have been evacuated. I am thinking about them now and hope that any rain we have today will be blessedly light.
Talking about rain and pouring, the saga of the Medicare Part D goes on! A month or so ago I decided to accept the option of mail order medication, which is considerably cheaper than buying a the pharmacy, but these things are never simple, so the Medicare Part D provider suddenly decided I was not on the level and demanded official papers proving I was my mother's POA. I'm sure I sent these years ago, but they were lost in the bureaucracy somewhere, so I sent them again, only to learn that no one had received them. True, I sent them to the fax number provided, and the machine said they had been transmitted successfully, but apparently they only entered the twilight zone because no one had seen them. Probably they are on the floor, while an attendant snoozes fitfully in a cubicle somewhere in Kentucky. So I have to send them again... and with any luck, my mother, who has run out of her medications, will receive some by Tuesday! Let's hope this is in time to save her a trip to the hospital.
My father, meanwhile, had an accident in his pants at the doctor's office, and I had to trail behind him picking up BMs from the floor. Poor guy. He was so mortified! I took him home afterwards, washed his pants and underwear, and gave him and my mother some lunch.
So much for my plans to go to yoga class. One does what she has to do!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awash in duplicates. What a country. I'll say it again: you are an extraordinary daughter.

Robbi N. said...

Thanks Lou. But that's why I didn't turn in my 180 grades. I'll get them Tuesday afternoon!