Friday, May 9, 2008

A solution to the MD dilemma and other (sad) stuff

I think we're gonna go eat dim sum, but in a restaurant that also has Japanese and Vietnamese food. According to OC Weekly, it does a good job at all of these things. It isn't British food; that's expensive and otherwise not very good around here (we've tried it), but it will get her the steak she wants and the dim sum I want!
I learned last night that my cousin, Ellie, who is actually a cousin by marriage, is dying. We long expected her death because she was born with a flaw in her heart, and although she is not that old (about 60) has had about 7 strokes and 3 heart attacks and was suffering from heart failure. She was bedridden for years, and her poor husband, who teaches economics full time at SUNY and part time at NYU, is ill himself and was struggling to look after her.
She has apparently been on hospice for months now, and all nutrition and liquids have been withdrawn from her. That must be terrible to watch. I don't think I could make myself do it.
I had a terrible time allowing my cat, Quincy, to die when he had feline leukemia, but I did learn from that experience. He accepted it; I had to as well. But I wasn't directly responsible for his death.
Imagine someone, a person you love, dying in that way! But is the alternative any better? That's the difficult question each person must answer for herself.
I will miss Ellie, although I had not seen her in years. She was a funny and sweet person who smoothed my cousin's rough edges and helped settle arguments. She will be much missed in a family that tends to brood and cloud up at the slightest hint of a problem.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day, Robbi, and I am sorry for the news of Ellie.

Robbi N. said...

Thank you. She died on Friday. When Jews die, they have to be buried right away. But not on Shabbat (Friday evening to Sat. evening), so she was buried today. Obviously, I couldn't go to the funeral. I called and talked to her husband. He was prepared for it, of course. She had been dying for so long that it was kind of a relief, I am sure, but of course he is sad.

Robbi N. said...

Happy Mother's Day to you too!

Rebel Girl said...

I am late to this news but thinking of you and yours ---

Robbi N. said...

Thanks Reb.