Sunday, August 24, 2008

Falling into the year

The new semester starts tomorrow. When one teaches all year long, as I have this year, it shouldn't seem like such a big deal, but it still does. It's a reflex I guess from all those years I had a full summer of whatever I wanted to do and then BOOM! Back to school. All those long halcyon days and nights of playing outside till 9 PM (a big deal for a kid), of catching jarsful of lightning bugs, of eating sticky popsicles and watermelons, of reading stacks of books from the library... I wanted it to go on forever, but at the same time, I was a little bit bored.The mixed feelings of dismay and thrill, the smell of new pencils, the suspense, wondering what teacher(s) I would have... who forgets those things?
I still have a yearly adjustment when I switch from sandals to shoes and capris to long pants. My feel especially protest this change, cramping and hurting for a month or so until I get used to it.
Probably there's something also about being Jewish and celebrating the new year in the fall. It just always feels like a clean slate. And that's ultimately a good thing, an opportunity to begin again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robbi,

I feel the same way about the sandals.However, the weather is still nice enough to wear them. I have not had a summer vacation either. This is ok with me because, I remember a few years ago when I was not fortunate enough to work year round. I save all of my vacaion days, so that I have a month off during christmas, and mostly because, I do not take time off when I have students. I am the classifed employee I know that, only takes time off when students are off.

Beth

Anonymous said...

Yes, that clean slate, though I don't change out of sandals for a while yet. ;-)

Robbi N. said...

I'm wearing sandals too. It's actually pretty muggy still, isn't it? I went for a walk with Richard this evening, and sweated in my shoes and socks, but I needed them because I couldn't see what I was walking into for a while there.
Beth, you're right. It's good to have a job! Of course, this semester it kind of looks like I might not, if the students don't decide to take my class. Both my classes are way under the limit right now.