Saturday, August 30, 2008

Just a Note

This seems to be a musical weekend. Last night, R and I went over to the Great Park (ha) to see a band. We thought it was going to be Arlo Guthrie and his family band, but it turned out to be a rockabilly dance band. I don't dance. My body just flails and people stare in ridiculing ways. Nothing I have ever done has been able to make it cooperate. I am not the kind not to care about that, so I don't dance. I can't seem to follow either, so R has given up trying to dance with me.
Tonight is Guthrie's concert. All of this is free, so we will be going. It's only a few blocks from my house.
There is supposed to be a huge development with museums, walking and biking trails (beautifully landscaped), a college campus, housing, etc., but so far, many millions into the project, there's just a big empty field with trailers on it, trees in containers, and a huge orange balloon people ride up and down on for a short distance. Oh, and a hanger with a restaurant, a dance floor, and a stage. That's where the concerts are.
Irvine is a place where nothing much seems to happen, so it was interesting to see the variety of different people, kids, adult, elderly, who came out for this event, and seemed to have a wonderful time. The band also was from the area and had family here. The bandleader got his twelve year old niece to come up and sing. She was terrific! So it was fun.
That sort of helps make up for the rest of the day. After yoga class yesterday, I met with a student who is leaving for the whole week on a trip (long planned) to Costa Rica. I taught a whole week's work to him. When you have 8 students in a class, you can't afford to lose any.
Then I went to Steinmart for their 80% off sale! Unfortunately, in the midst of trying on pants, I stepped on a security sensor, a black stud with a spike about 1" long, which was hanging out of my foot!
The women at the counter were suspicious of me. How did that get there? It is only supposed to be removed at the counter, after one pays for a garment. So they thought Iwas trying to steal something, but how dumb could I be, trying to steal something and then bringing the thing up to show them? Stupid. They realized this, and then said they'd get me the person in charge of filling out insurance forms. But I waited an hour without that person showing up. Given that it's a holiday weekend, I went straight out to my doctor to get a tetanus shot, but there weren't enough docs to cover, so they sent me up to Orange to the Urgent Care for my HMO. When I got there, I realized I hadn't had anything to eat all day and was too hungry to sit there for 2 hours, which I would have needed to do, so I decided to come back home and go to a Walk in and bill the store. I ended up a block from the store, got the shot, and delivered the bill to the manager.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I can hardly stand to read about that spike in your foot!! But the concerts sound like such fun.

Robbi N. said...

It was pretty gruesome. Spoiled my day, and now my arm hurts from the shot.
The Arlo Guthrie concert was really fun. But someone Richard hated sat next to us, and I didn't know she had tried to have his department shelved and him fired dozens of times. I was nice to her and invited her and her husband to sit down next to us. Richard promptly got up and left for the duration of the concert. I thought he left me there, without money, a phone, keys, or anything, but he was back there sitting on the ground.