Thursday, August 28, 2008

Home Stretch

It's the end of summer, the end of the campaign, and this last weekend will be a time to relax and celebrate what has gone before and what is coming down the pike. But not everyone feels so positive.
I went to take my dad for a blood test, and my mom came to the door full of doom and gloom. She was hallucinating up a storm, and told me that "the bad ones" were visiting her about now, warning of disaster to come. She followed us out to the car, and grabbed hold of my shirt, warning me, like Coleridge's ancient mariner, and refused to go back into the house, although she wasn't coming with us to the lab. So I took her hand and led her back inside, telling her to tell the "bad ones" to go back where they came from.
It doesn't matter what activities I dream up for her. That spectral world she lives in is always more real than the one we live in, apparently. She doesn't complain much anymore because of that probably. She is more there now than here. One day she will cease to return to the surface, and just stay there.

4 comments:

Rebel Girl said...

sorry to have missed you this week - maybe I'll see you next week!

Robbi N. said...

Hi Reb! I work Tues/Thurs early morning this semester, but both of my classes are very underenrolled. The dean is allowing me to keep them, and I'm grateful for that.
I have 8 in the 7:30 class and about 12 in the 9:30. I worry about the 7:30 because the people who are there are not very committed to staying, I think. I've never had a comp class like this before.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could take them on a field trip to the Writing Center. Maybe they are tactile learners and need to move around and touch stuff.

Robbi N. said...

I could try it. My dad is easy. He is fully aware, and would be interested just about anywhere. I have taken him to the old Writing Center, in fact, and he talked to people and walked around outside on the campus. My mom wasn't with us though. We could have a picnic on the campus or something and stop by there.