Monday, August 25, 2008

Out on a limb

A few years back, I had given up on sending stuff out to magazines. I had so many rejection slips, some of them merely frustrating, some actually cruel. Once, for example, I sent a journal a dozen poems--quite a lot for someone who doesn't write all that many--and they wanted MORE! Naturally, they didn't take even one of what I sent them. I think I sent them more, and they did the same again. That was frustrating but sort of flattering at the same time. Another time a little podunk rag told me my "sensibility sucked." Succinct, eh? Actually, I laughed at that one. Yet another time at a local journal, I sent in neatly folded, crisp poems and got back bad Xeroxes with holes punched in them. So I stopped trying.
After some success at an online publication, Qarrtsiluni, where my friend Marly was a guest editor, I began sending out tentatively again. Now I have a few things in the pipeline, including a short short story I wrote this summer in my workshop, which I sent out on a tip from Reb to an NPR radio show.
Now I'm thinking of going back to the mother lode, those magazines I always admired, like Poetry or Ploughshares or The New Yorker, on the off-chance something will work for them.
I won't be daunted by rejections. After all, I've seen it all before. But I just somehow think there won't be an unbroken series of them as there was before, especially if I intersperse these off-chance submissions with less ambitious ones.

4 comments:

Rebel Girl said...

I'm with you all the way! Let's go.

Robbi N. said...

Too bad those publications take so darned long to get back to you!

Anonymous said...

Plath used to have the next envelope already addressed. Keep sending!

Robbi N. said...

Richard did that too, but he also eventually gave up sending manuscripts. All of his individual poems got published, but no one would publish the book.