Saturday, August 16, 2008

New start, at least theoretically

It's the beginning of a new semester in two weeks (the 25th), and I wanted to clean up at least on the surface in this mess of a room. It's so chaotic on the dining room table, what with mail, referral forms from doctors for my parents, magazines I haven't gotten around to reading, that I can barely clear a place to eat. And only one person can eat at a time, for sure. It never used to be this way. It seems as my mind has gotten more and more cluttered with to-do lists, it manifests itself in the room as well.
What began as a small pile of books (mostly textbooks and materials for whatever current class I was teaching at the time) has grown to an avalanche of crap I can't seem to shovel fast enough to keep up with. Ironically, some of those pile is composed of books about how to organize and clean the house. Needless to say, it ain't happening. It doesn't help my state of mind any, let's just say that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In June, when I boxed up the Humanities Center, I had to empty filing cabinets and bookcases. I was brutal. And yesterday as I opened the boxes, I didn't miss whatwas no longer there.

I am very disorganized with household business and banking. But my daughter loves organizing this stuff. She gets plastic file folders with six or eight pockets, goes through bills, laughs A LOT, snaps the elastic band in place, and hands me the up-do-date papers all neatly organized.

Robbi N. said...

Hi guys. That's a real garbage dump, not really my house, though the house is pretty bad. Today I cleaned out under the kitchen sink. There were some cute things in there that Jeremy made when he was in kindergarten! I threw one of them out because it was a mess. I threw out a lot of things, actually, and tried to put some kind of order in what is left, though it's still pretty messy. At least cords aren't hanging out the door!
My husband doesn't want to clean up after me anymore, and Jeremy usually doesn't either, though once in a while he helps me clean up the clutter in the cupboard so we can find things and I won't buy more, thinking they aren't there.
The banking and the rest of it are hopeless. I won't even think about that.