Monday, April 6, 2009

Non Sequitor

Today I took my father to Costco to the pharmacy to pick up some ointment for that rash. While we were waiting, we did some shopping and noshing the samples. I asked one of the people who were giving out samples if there was any lox. She said she thought it would be against the wall with hardware. I just looked at her, not of course thinking "locks"--she never heard of lox, and neither had the others working in the store. When I finally found a big hunk of the stuff, I held it up, and showed the person. She said, "OHHH! That's smoked salmon at Costco." Of course, if you'd been to a deli, you would know that "smoked salmon" is something else altogether, but I guess, strictly speaking, that's true. Talk about interpretive communities!

2 comments:

Lou said...

This could be the basis for a short story!

Robbi N. said...

I guess so. Maybe I'll write it some time.