Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Silly stuff

Today I have ruined a perfectly beautiful day with silly stuff. After class today, a particularly fruitful class that did not require much work on my part but more on my students' parts, I went looking for a ghost story by A.S. Byatt, "July Ghost," published in 1987, and thereafter in many anthologies, for a class I am teaching this summer (in a few weeks!). I couldn't find it, despite hitting up the Internet and three libraries.
Then I wrote a letter to the county to tell them my dad cannot serve on a jury. Imagine that! Of course, he would love to, but who is going to sit there and help him? Not me! I hope they do not give me any trouble. In my experience, they're pretty flexible. They gave me years of exemptions when my son was small. I served for the first time a couple of years ago, and found it very interesting indeed, but who can carve out time for it in a life like mine?
Jeremy tells me he would claim insanity or rabid opinions to keep off a jury. It of course irritated me, but I should have known better than to say so. He only says these things to piss me off.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL, Yes, Jeremy is saying off the wall comments to piss you off. Could you just imagaine yourself, taking your Dad to court for jury duty? Hell NO!!!

Beth

Robbi N. said...

He does an excellent job of it, too.

Lou said...

In your dad's condition, he is of course not a candidate for jury duty.