Friday, April 18, 2008

Matzoh matzoh everywhere

It's Passover again, and for a week starting tomorrow at sundown I will have to think up new ways to avoid grains, bread, flour, rice, etc, and come up with new things to do with potatoes. Passover is a re-enactment of the enslavement of the ancient Hebrews in Egypt, and the two ritual dinners (seders) staged on the first two nights of the holiday are a way for every Jew to relive that experience.
Even though I'm hardly that observant, Passover is my favorite holiday. It reminds me that we, like the ancients, live in what can often seem a narrow place (the original meaning of "Egypt"), and are slaves to forces beyond us, such as an oil economy that becomes ever more oppressive, and, more insidious, human evil that shows itself increasingly it seems in the world today. Passover can and has been adapted to any political purpose one can imagine. I've been to feminist seders, Jewish-Palestinian seders (that one worked particularly well), Catholic/Jewish seders (specifically, ones given by the Catholic Worker, so they were anti-war and left-wing). This year, I heard about a Darfur seder and a Jewish/Latino seder. I'm not going to them because I'm taking my parents to the congregational seder at my synagogue, and that's fairly pricy. I'm also going to a restaurant for a "seder" with the choir from synagogue on Monday.
My house is not such that it is a good place for a seder of our own, since it is too small, cramped, and messy for that.
Since this life often seems like a prolonged wandering through the wilderness, Passover is a good time to mull this over collectively in an organized sort of fashion.
I sometimes wish I were more observant. The ceremony to clean one's house of "chametz" (non-Passover items like bread) is really fun. After thoroughly cleaning all the cupboards and shelves of these things, one deliberately plants some crumbs in conspicuous places, then stages a hunt for these, going around poking in corners with a feather, and ceremoniously burning the crumbs when they are found. One can even "loan" chametz to a non-Jew for the week, then take it back after the holiday. Those guys thought of everything!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the matzoh man. I wish you and your family peace and happiness at Passover.

Robbi N. said...

Thanks Lou. I feel a little low because I didn't get to go to a seder yesterday evening or tonight. However, I will go eat dinner (not really a seder) with the choir tomorrow night and on Friday there will be a congregational seder, so I'll live.

Anonymous said...

Good Tom Tov to you and your family, Robbi. I agree - there is something very comforting in the tradition and the time to think about life.

I was supposed to host the seder at my house on Saturday night - just my folks and my husband and kids - I was so excited because it was a Saturday and I would have time to really cook! But, it was not to be. My slow-to-develop cough turned nasty on Thursday and I added a sinus infection to boot and spent the last 3 days in bed (can hardly remember the last time that happened) and missed Passover. My parents met up with my Aunt and my kids ate some Matzoh out of the box...I will see if I can pick another day this week and do some of the cooking :) I even found a vegan matzoh ball recipe - who knew??!!!
Melanie

Robbi N. said...

Happy Passover to you, Melanie! I am so sorry to hear you have not been well and that it caused you to miss Passover. Maybe you want to come with us to the synagogue's seder? But they'll have trouble accomodating a vegan! I didn't know you were vegan! It must be very difficult. Our choir director is also, and she didn't bother to come out to dinner last night (at Benjies) because there would be nothing but overpriced and not very good salad or vegetables to eat. They had some of the hottest chrain (horseradish) that I ever saw! Steam came out of my ears.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Robbi - so sweet! I am actually going to a "make - up" sedar to eat with my family. You'd be amazed at how easy it is do things like this vegan. I have a great "chopped liver" recipe that I use as well. I will have to bring you some samples. :)
and - I am finally feeling much better! yay!
Melanie

Robbi N. said...

So glad to hear all of this, on all counts. What is your "mock liver" made of? Mine is vegetarian, but not vegan... it's peas and walnuts with lots of sauteed onions and tons of hardboiled eggwhites (the non-vegan part). I know there are lots of other ways to make it though.
RE: bringing me samples, wait till after Passover because I am not eating peas or grains right now. I try to keep the Passover rules for Ashkenazi, wishing all the while I were Sephardic. Those guys get to eat rice!