Monday, April 14, 2008

Mom

Meanwhile, my mother's dementia steadily worsens. When I went to pick up my parents yesterday to take them for their weekly tour of retail establishments, my mom was dressed in a velour pantsuit. I told her it was nearly 100 degrees, and proceeded to go through her closets, as I had just gone through mine, exchanging winter clothes for summer. In her case, this involved moving winter stuff to another closet and exchanging it for summer things in the big closet she shares with my father. Many of the summer things had never been worn, still had tags or were in bags on the floor of the closet. So I found her a likely looking outfit and left her to change. That was a mistake. When I turned around, she was gamely trying to stuff her legs, still wearing the velour pants, into the new pants, and had long underwear on beneath this, I discovered. So I stripped her and started again.
She is tired and sore, so weary all she wants to do is sleep. She no longer complains, except for an occasional whimper about her feet. Her body and mind are just worn out. It is very sad. Despite the fact that people always want to live to 100, I don't know whether that's the best thing, in most cases.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't want to live to 100, no ma'am. That last 20 years is a killer. Your description of your mother is heartbreaking.

Robbi N. said...

It's certainly difficult to watch. But up until recently, she was really doing quite well, deceptively well, it turns out.
I knew how ill she was finally when she was still back in the house in Philadelphia. She had been begging me to get her out of there, even if I had to leave my dad where he was. One day though, she not only stopped complaining, but when I said I was working on a way to get her out here, she said, "Why would I want to leave this house? It's so nice!"
It was kind of like that moment in Invasion of the Body Snatchers when the main character kisses his girlfriend, and realizing she had been taken over by the pod-people, delivers one of the great lines in American film: "I never knew what fear was until I kissed her lips."

It looked like mom, and sounded like her, but it wasn't her, not really. And it hasn't been since then.