Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Car, Redux

Turned out the car was more complicated than I thought. The brakes were almost entirely out. They needed replacement. And so did the tires, which were not too old. It was my fault for not filling them up with air when they needed to be filled. I won't make that mistake again. And to top it off, the debit card didn't go through because they suspected someone had stolen it, and I had to go through an enormous rigamarole to get it fixed. But I have my car; I can go to yoga class as well as to a workshop on campus tomorrow (which I would have gotten to by bus if not by car anyhow). Everything I do seems more complicated than it ought to be!
My friend Linda, in Philadelphia, got the dishes from my parents' house and is storing them at her place. It was a long way in the pouring rain, in heavy traffic. What a good friend. It was nice of my old friend Amy to take them out there too. Sometime I will have to go to Philadelphia and figure out how to get them out here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a native Californian, so I am a card-carrying member of the car culture. But I admit that I rely on the idiot lights and men to tell me when the tires need air and the oil needs changing. My cultural sign right now is the fake Christmas wreath attached to the front grill of my Jeep. Oh, and my grandkids singing "Grandma got run over by a reindeer." :-D

Robbi N. said...

I'm pretty new to all that! But I'm learning, sometimes the hard way.