Saturday, December 13, 2008

A Trip to Another World

Today, perhaps by way of celebrating the car's renewal, after another flat tire yesterday (in one of the new tires, natch!), I took my parents to Little Saigon in Westminster. My dad has been saying for a while that he wanted to go, and trips to our usual spots were lackluster and boring, so I finally girded my loins and took him. When one doesn't drive on freeways, this kind of trip is challenging, but I found a fairly direct route, up Moulton/Irvine Ctr Dr/Edinger, to Bolsa. There was some nasty construction in Santa Ana, but besides that, it was not hard, not even for me, who hates challenging drives.
Dad wanted to go to the A Doung market, which is an amazing and amazingly cheap amalgamation of all sorts of smells, people, etc. The meat and fish section alone is a festival for the senses, not of all of it pleasant. It's like the 99 Market to the 10th power. Then we walked down the strip to a dim sum restaurant (took the elevator upstairs), and had lunch, bargaining for some Hello Kitty pjs on the way. It is tough to eat dim sum when you don't eat pork. My parents still don't, and don't eat shrimp or other seafood (nonfish seafood) either. We ended up with a lot of very tasty tofu. Everything else had pork!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like taking the surface streets because it reminds me of old OC, before the freeways. I'm glad you all had a day of adventure.

Robbi N. said...

I cannot even imagine this land of freeways before freeways! I'm sure it was empty compared to now though. When we first came here, in 1980, I remember the sweet smell of orange trees and eucalyptus. It was a different world.