Thursday, December 11, 2008

Transportation

We don't often think about how crucial our cars are to our lives' smooth continuance. As a person who did not drive until relatively recently (about 8 years ago), I think about it a lot, but even I have come to take my car for granted. Lately, the car is doing strange things. The brake light comes on when the brake is not on, when I am driving. Sometimes it goes off on its own, but sometimes it goes off then comes on again. The front light is out again, for the fifth or sixth time this year. And I worry that the car may be on the verge of dying, though it is not all that old. It does have a fair number of miles on it... almost 100,000, most of which I put on it. But buying another car at the moment is not in the picture, so I hope it holds on for a while.
How did I manage taking the bus? As I recall, not all that well. It was tough because it took hours to get anything done. Going one place was a major project. Now I zip effortlessly from one place to another. Maybe I appreciate that less than I used to. This will be a reminder that I need to be grateful for the car and the ability to drive it.

No comments: