Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Be the Change

This morning at work in the Writing Center the big screens were up, as were the small ones, streaming live from the Inauguration in Washington DC. As the event unfolded, sound and picture stalled a few times, but the mutual feeling in all of us as we stood around, in awe that this day had arrived in our lifetimes, was warm feelings and a sense of unreality.
First of all, although we all know that life goes on (in a different time zone) thousands of miles away and indeed across the universe, it is odd when technology brings that home to you with footage streaming live from far away. And when the occasion is momentous, as this is, it feels even odder.
Everything I saw came off perfectly, despite any technological hitches or glitches we may have experienced. From Michelle Obama handing Laura Bush the gift of a blank journal and pen to write her memoirs to the moving speech of a black minister whose name I did not catch who recited rather than singing the black national anthem before proceeding with the speech, everything was just as I would have had it. Obama's speech was terrific. He said just what needed to be said. Now it stands to us to be the change, as they say, every day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun to be together for that moment!

Robbi N. said...

It was! I cancelled the inauguration party I was supposed to go to because I had already had one! Besides, I had errands to do; my hearing aid went kaflooey.
Richard has that awful flu. I hope I don't catch it, but I better brace!

Anonymous said...

What did you think of the poem? Evidently Graywolf is doing a run of 100,000! Very helpful and exciting for them.

Anonymous said...

It is not recommended that you accept the flu.

Robbi N. said...

Hi Marly! Is that the long narrative poem? I loved it! I thought I told you how terrific I think it is! I am looking forward to getting a copy. I guess I better order it though.
Getting Richard to go to the doctor for anything is impossible. He has been told he has a tremendously resiliant immune system, and I see why.