Sunday, January 4, 2009

Moving On

It's a new year, but I seem to be mired in old business. My parents' stuff has ramped up since they are approaching the end of life. Of course, I always knew this would happen, but I am feeling anxious about how to deal with it now that it is here.
My mom is not taking my dad's illness well. It doesn't help that the board and care is in an uproar because the staff at the other houses seems to have left, and the owners and my parents' caregiver have to cover those houses as well as the one where my parents live. The guy they have gotten to cover while they are away is not reliable or even especially civil. That doesn't work at all, especially for my mom, who God knows, is difficult enough even when a person is trying to be helpful and nice.
And if my dad goes first, I don't know how I will get my mom to the adult day care. She needs stimulation, but we cannot afford door-to-door access service more than about once a week. I don't think I'll be capable of driving her to and from the Center in Orange twice a day , even one day a week. There are closer Centers, but this one is covered by grants, so we pay only donations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry, Robbi. The caregiver situation is a constant concern--so much turnover, so much switching around. I read back over my blog sometimes to remind myself that whether my dad was in his home or in the board and care, the caregiver thing was a mess.

Robbi N. said...

We have had very good luck in our caregivers, but things happen. Suzie has to have her gallbladder taken out, and will be unavailable for a while, just when dad has become incontinent and is hallucinating.