Tuesday, January 13, 2009

First class, dad, etc.

I met with my first class this semester, a rhetoric course. There are two students I know from other classes, but the rest are new to me, except for one whose name, but not face, is strangely familiar. Perhaps his reputation precedes him, and probably not in a good way. We'll have to see.
So far, many of them are wildly unprepared for the class, judging by their response on the diagnostic essay. It does not bode well. Of course, some people don't respond well to such writing tasks, and they may be more prepared than they seem. I hope so.
The other class, the poetry workshop, meets Thursday night. Only one of the students from my summer class is in it. But 12 others, besides the one from summer (who is also in my comp class) are signed up. I have high hopes that it will be a terrific semester, and as much fun as the summer class was.
Meanwhile, back at the hospital, my dad is hooked up to an IV drip of antibiotics, which seems to be doing the trick for the infection. They'd like to send him home, but the board and care won't accept him till he comes off the IV. That makes me nervous. I don't ever want him to have to transfer to a nursing home permanently. I think it would kill him, though 4 days (the estimated time to finish the antibiotics) wouldn't be too bad. So the hospital will keep him till the antibiotic finishes up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm wishing you good fortune and good poems on Thursday night!

Robbi N. said...

Thanks!