Saturday, January 24, 2009

Out in the Garden Eating Worms

I woke up this morning to learn that my workshop was down to 11 people, and at least a couple of those weren't in class on Thurs. . Two people told me they were dropping--one because she couldn't make head or tails out of the poems in the workshop section of the class, but felt she was the only person who couldn't, and the other because she realized that writing poetry was much more complex than she had realized, and she didn't have the time to invest in it right now. I think that is probably true, given she was about to enter a PhD program. Legitimate reasons, both of them, but I felt bad. I thought I'd pick up some of those fat juicy wrigglers that have swum up out of the grass in the rain the past couple of days, since I'm feeling insecure and doubting myself. But I will try not to take it personally.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's never personal when a student drops, but it FEELS personal. Think of it this way--more personal attention for the rest of your budding poets.

Robbi N. said...

That's true, as long as the class isn't cancelled.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Lou.

Beth

Anonymous said...

What is the lates with Jeremy's court stuff?

Beth

Robbi N. said...

He's been at court for the drug charge, and has to take a class. He still has to go for the alcohol and to the DMV. It is quite possible he will lose his license. If he does, he may end up at IVC. I talked to Julie about testing him.
Who knows what will happen next semester though with the budget the way it is?

Anonymous said...

It would be better to have him at IVC, so that you have more control of what is going on with him. You are most likely next, with the flu. It is going around right now.

Beth