Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Family Visit

My uncle just left after his 5 day visit to my house. I live in a tiny cramped apartment. There is enough clutter just generated by the 3 of us for any 10 people, particularly by me! But with my uncle here, sleeping on the futon in the living room, it was really stuffed. There was nowhere to sit down and relax except on the beds.
He isn't a difficult guest, cleaning up after himself and very quietly going about his business. That helped. He also spent a lot of time with my parents, helping dad water the garden and sitting by him as he rested. I think it was therapeutic for him as well as for my father because he has been so devastated by the death of his young wife, who was quite a bit younger than he is, from an undiagnosed mental illness that dragged on and on for years. Since her mother died under similar circumstances, it is probably to do with genetic problems brought on by the inbreeding of two families of Iraqui Jews from which his wife descended for generation after generation. They are brilliant but fragile individuals.
So I know that spending time here in the hustle and bustle of my household was a nice change for my uncle. He is trying to persuade Jeremy to visit him in Maryland, and I think that would be a nice idea. Jeremy has never had a trip on his own before, and it would be a good opportunity to see Wash. D.C. .
After a difficult weekend, during which we almost took my dad to the ER again because of blood in his urine(lots of it), he has bounced back again for a while. It seems that every time he over exerts himself, he plummets back down again. It's tough because once he feels better, he naturally wants to do something and get out of the house.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am delighted to hear of these brothers' chance to see each other!

Robbi N. said...

It was a great thing, and I would not mind him coming on a regular basis, but I think my family wouldn't like him to stay at the house that often.