Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Long Trip

Lately, my mom thinks she needs to prepare for a long trip. I had her out this afternoon, after I returned from taking my dad to the doctor. I wanted her to check out the Draper and Damon's outlet next door to the Kosher Bite Deli, a few miles from where she lives. She has gained some weight, and it was an opportunity to buy pants in a larger size on sale, but the store is not open every day, so today seemed opportune.
We found a number of pairs of pants, some for each of us, and a shirt each also. But when I told mom it was time to go home, she said she didn't think she would be going home today. Wouldn't she need to stay over on the way, for such a long journey? And did I really contemplate driving there all by myself? She was very concerned about my safety. I wonder what home meant to her. Perhaps it was South Africa, or maybe Philadelphia. It's difficult to say.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mom's idea that she is on a long trip is packed with meaning, isn't it.

Robbi N. said...

Yes. I know she is aware of her age and that she will not be around much longer. But it's interesting that she would be eagerly awaiting this as a trip home. I hope she is not too unhappy.