Friday, February 13, 2009

Rainy Day Greens

It is raining out there, and will probably, from the sound of it, be continuing to rain for the next couple of weeks, so our field trip is off for the moment. I have not yet been able to find a botanist who is available to do the tour anyway. Perhaps a workable solution would be to go to Fullerton's Arboratum because they have docents ready to do that job. However, I will need to get a ride there with one of my students, and some of the other students will also need rides. Maybe we could take the train and then walk or take the bus, but it isn't terribly convenient and is kind of expensive too.
I have still not heard about my yoga teacher, and how she is doing. No one I know has. This worries me, but I will respect her privacy, although I have her phone number, address, and email address. When she wants information to get out, she will send word via her husband and others.
My parents, however, are doing well. They have started attending the Center again. This is a relief for me because I do not need to be their sole source of entertainment and solace. This is a bill I find myself unable to fill, in any case.
Jeremy has begun his life sans car, after losing the license for a year. He is adjusting surprisingly well, arranging for rides, borrowing bikes, using his roller blades, getting bus schedules. And he tells me that he loves the electives he is taking. In fact, he told me that this is the first time he has ever liked any form of school in his life. He himself has affirmed this.
The classes he likes so much are Human Development (which doesn't surprise me) and History of Film, which does. I am thrilled about film, looking forward to having a companion in watching DVDs of classic cinema and going to new films of quality. But perhaps that is asking too much.
I have not been to the movies in a long time. There hasn't been anything I particularly wanted to see.
I will try not to spoil the wonder of college for him by showing a special interest in what he is doing. In the past, he has responded to such interest by dropping the hobby or pursuit. So if I ignore it, perhaps this will make a difference (or pretend to ignore it). Let him tell me what he wants to tell me, and not tell me anything if he doesn't want to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great post--your spirits are up, and that is terrific!

Robbi N. said...

Yes. And I am writing so much... several poems a week. That is wonderful!