Saturday, March 21, 2009

Addendum

I forgot to say that I have been reading Jayneanne Phillips' new novel, Lark and Termite, for Bookies, the bookclub at school. I didn't take to the book right away. I had to make myself read it. I'm not sure why. Perhaps I wasn't in the mood for its melancholy tone. The slim novel is told, rather like The Sound and the Fury, from the perspective of several of its characters, though it always returns to Lark, the daughter of Lola, who is at the time of the novel, dead by suicide; Termite, Lola's son by a husband who died young in the Korean War, never having seen his child or knowing that he was hydrocephalic; the dead husband, who relates in his section the tale of the battle that took his life; and Nonie, Lola's sister, who cares for Lark and Termite. In places it is lyrical and lovely, hypnotic, but sometimes it dragged for me, and I became impatient with it. Still, I am glad I read it.

3 comments:

marly said...

Haven't read Jayne Anne Phillips in a while... Good reminder.

N: Is that her pet, the blue-tongued skink?

R: Aw, I love blue-tongued skinks.

Robbi N. said...

I thought the book was a disappointment.
The skink belongs to another blog entry, one in which I find a portion of just such a critter in front of my door, being watched very closely by my indoor cats.

Robbi N. said...

I used to have lots of pets, including lizards, especially horned toads, when I was a kid. But unfortunately I didn't know how to care for them properly, and their eyeballs usually popped out because I didn't know how to feed or water them properly.