Sunday, March 8, 2009

Everlasting Moments

Last night, I couldn't find any movies I wanted to see playing locally. I really wanted to see the Swedish indie film, Everlasting Moments, directed by septegenarian, Jan Troell, which is a true period piece about a woman with 9 children and a brutal drunkard of a husband who discovered quite by accident that she loved photography and had a gift for it about the time of WWI. It was only playing in LA, but I learned that it was On Demand!
My fellow-blogger Lou has said in the past that one can watch films that are still in theaters on cable, but I never tried it before. This time, I watched the film, and it was really wonderful--the most beautiful cinematography and acting, though the translations were a bit dicey--not ungrammatical, just unidiomatic. Sometimes there were words that might have no English equivalents, at least not American ones. How does one translate "haulier," which apparently means a small rural transportation company? It isn't a taxi, exactly, more like a vanpool. But they weren't vans, but wagons. Perhaps one might as well English the Swedish word, which is what the translator did in the subtitles. I wouldn't tolerate a dubbed film, so I have to live with subtitles.
As I was watching, I remembered some Swedish words from my Bergman binges in the distant past at school.
I heartily recommend that you watch it--either on cable or in the theater. I'm sure it would be beautiful on the large screen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a word for you: Elvish.

:D

So glad you found the beauties of On Demand.

Robbi N. said...

As in Elvish Presley, right?

Robbi N. said...

Thank you for guiding me there.