Friday, March 27, 2009

Apple Video Seminar

Usually I eschew tech training at school because I do not have patience and cannot remember what I hear in these workshops, but today I was intrigued by the prospect of learning how to use Apple video cameras to produce student-generated assignments involving videos that apply the concepts from my classes in order to teach them to other students.
Knowing how well this kind of activity works to empower students and to reinforce the learning they do in classes, as well as taking some of the responsibility for this learning off of me and putting it where it belongs, on the students for a change, I decided to go to an all-day workshop on campus. I don't have time right now to go into all the details (I will fill you in later), but suffice it to say that I had a great time making a short video with my peers--specifically a tech guy from campus, Joe, and a philosophy adjunct, Charlie, who finished the PhD program at UCI in philosophy a few years ago and has been unable to score a full time job. In the video, which I wrote, we imparted some words of wisdom about things one should not do in the classroom as a teaching, including, in a finale starring me, standing on one's head while teaching. Everyone loved it, though our video didn't have high production values compared to the others in the group.

2 comments:

marlyat2 said...

Hey, we need to see that finale!

Robbi N. said...

I wish I had a link to it. Perhaps I can get one? Or maybe I'll just get Jeremy to take my picture doing that pose?