Saturday, March 7, 2009

Lizard Parts

Now that it is spring, I think that an outdoor cat is courting one of my indoor ones. I think this because, even though I haven't seen any outdoor cats hanging around lately, yesterday there was a portion of lizard, fresh and still twitching, in front of my door when I came with an armful of groceries to put things into the house. The cats had their own wee bit of grocery, though I didn't deign to bring it into the house.
It was a tail, probably a skink, with a good bit of hindquarter meat attached, and they spied it when I opened the door. These cats, who have never been outside on their own in their lives, tried to escape through the crack of the door because of the twitch of that tail. It was so alluring.
I hope it wasn't me, opening the door unexpectedly on the sunbathing skink, who caused this. In any case, from a human perspective, one cannot help but thinking that it means something. I don't know what though.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! If your two were in my yard, they'd be beside their dizzy selves with the zillion lizards scurrying everywhere. Great story!

Robbi N. said...

Thanks Lou. I thought it deserved a poem, but I'm not ready to write it right now. Too much other stuff brewing.

Anonymous said...

Courting gifts... I think that does sound like a Robbi poem.

Finally got your link in place!

Robbi N. said...

Thanks Marly. Hope some come visiting.