Tuesday, September 15, 2009

More on the trip

Saturday was a busy day. We managed to fit more things into that day than into any one weekend. In the morning, as I said, after a breakfast at the "pretty good grill" appended to the motel, we went to see the elephant seals, then drove up to San Simeon beach, walked the beach and pier, and I visited the little natural history center there, talking with the couple who ran the place about what we should see in the area. They pointed out Moonstone Beach, which we visited later that day. But we also got a taste (literally) of Cambria that afternoon, visiting the bakery and walking around town. After walking the boardwalk alongside Moonstone Beach, where I imitated a squirrel and almost had one climbing up my leg, we drove over to Morro Bay. It was crude and touristy compared to Cambria, but there were lots of interesting galleries, and I ducked into one to look over local art, which was interesting and priced well. I resisted most of it, but bought one piece. I had been hankering for some seafood, but without paying top price for it, some little place out in view of the water, with picnic tables, maybe. That's exactly what I found, and soon R. and I were eating our fish and chips (him) and a grilled halibut sandwich (me) in view of Morro Rock and in hearing of the seals you see in my header, which were hanging around the fishing boat, looking pretty full and satisfied. There were lots of people tossing things to them; I'm sure the junk food will shorten their lives, but they seemed to be enjoying those tidbits right now.

2 comments:

Lou said...

Oh man, I love days like that when your energy seem strong and the sights plentiful and the food a wonderful surprise.

Robbi N. said...

That was a wonderful day, and it will have to last me a while. I don't think I'll have the chance to do anything of that sort for a while. The holidays are coming up this week.