Sunday, June 26, 2011

Do Cats Watch Television?

I was watching Nova the other day with my cats on either side of me. It was a show about Victoria Falls, quite spectacular on the big screen. As the film spotlighted the local wildlife, the elephants frolicking in the spring abundance of water, the hippos with their periscope eyes and ears topping the water, the sounds and flights of birds coming in for a feast, the cat sat alert, scanning the screen with his eyes, his head turning to follow the creatures on the screen and the sounds they were making. When the commercial came on, he laid his head on his paws and went to sleep.

4 comments:

Michele said...

My cats like underwater shots and birds, even eagles!!

Robbi N. said...

It's interesting. I wonder if it's just the sounds, the movement, or whether they can actually process those images? Shadow doesn't seem interested, but Whistler has always shown an interest in tv.

Marly Youmans said...

My mother gave me a CD with music containing a lot of bird song, and the cats love it. I think many of them like the combination of bird song and quick movement on the screen, but I don't receive any stations--just have t.v. to watch the occasional movie.

Robbi N. said...

I am not so pure as you. No wonder you get so much work done and so much reading! I watch things like Top Chef and news on PBS and movies and cooking shows, with a smattering of Animal Planet and the like thrown in. And Star Trek. I don't watch a lot of tv, but probably watch something every day.