Saturday, June 21, 2008

family visit

My uncle Bill, dad's half brother, visited today. He went with us for a picnic at the beach so that we could escape the miserably hot weather, and we did escape it for a while. However, it was almost too hard for my parents to manage such a trip. They have really aged a lot. Even dad wasn't very animated or enthusiastic, and wanted nothing more than to lie down for a nap on the grass.
My uncle tried to convince me to spend the money from the sale of my parents' house to buy us a home. We have always rented up till now, and it would be a big help to have a place paid off by the time we are old. I am not likely to touch that money though till my parents are gone. I have nightmares about running out of money and having to put them in a substandard place. Mom complains as it is, and dad gets weary of having all the people at the house die on him.
I will hope that there is still some money left after they are gone and that the price of real estate is still half-way affordable. Who knows what will happen? Certainly not me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so hot for everyone but especially for the elderly.

I think that one of the most difficult fears I had was about money--NOT running out. If only I had known when my mom and dad would die, I could have planned for the use of the money. My felt that way about herself and her own money, too; it was not just my fear.

You are making the best decisions. The housing prices right now are so tempting, the perfect buyer's market. But the monthly costs for your parents are paramount. Aargh.

Robbi N. said...

I have to agree. I couldn't live with myself having taken all their money to buy a house. It might be the best thing to get out of this area at some point anyhow because water may run low as the climate change progresses. One never knows about that either.