Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's Day after the fact

As it turns out, my mom now loves bbq! She practically inhaled her plate of bbq chicken with fries, cadging choice bits of dad's brisket plate and sweet potato fries. It is odd because I cannot imagine her pre-dementia self eating such messy stuff! She was always the type to enjoy a white tablecloth at tea time, and I remember when I was a child how she relished dressing me up and donning little white gloves to go downtown. But now, she is an entirely different person. Or perhaps she was this person all along and her repression kept her from admitting it.
Everyone enjoyed the meal, and it was a multipurpose celebration because Jeremy graduates tomorrow at 3 and Robin's birthday is coming up, so we were a merry crew.
I ended up taking my dad to UCI arboratum to get plants at their monthly sale. He got a beautiful pineapple lily. I will try to insert a picture of one with a flowering spike (his doesn't have any flowers as yet). The leaves are lovely too though.

No comments: