Sunday, June 29, 2008

Way Down South

I am in Atlanta GA, where my son will be playing in a national baseball tournament. I know this is most likely the last baseball tournament he will play in because he is not planning to go out for the team at the college to which he will be going in the fall (SCC). His coaches have encouraged him to try out, but he is tired, I think, and just needs a few months rest from baseball, which he has been playing pretty much nonstop since he was 9 years old. He loves the game, but he doesn't really know what it will feel like not to play it. Plus, with his learning disabilities, he will need extra time to work on his academics for the first time. I personally feel that he will change his mind, but lets give him the opportunity to find out.
The trip here was very quick (nonstop!) in a plane with individual tv screens. I didn't spring for the tv or HBO movies, but there were free games. I got hooked on Bejeweled, or whatever that thing is called. I can understand how people spend hours online playing that thing. My neck started to hurt, not to speak of my wrists!
Unfortunately though, our hotel is out in the boonies so I can't check the place out till Richard and his parents arrive from VA tomorrow. We didn' t rent a car. I hope that tomorrow sometime we will get down there and I can look downtown Atlanta over and see what all the fuss is about.
All I can tell you that it was the biggest ass airport I've ever seen, full of odiferous Eagle Scouts (about 100 of them), and more people than I've ever seen in one place, and that's saying something. I was thinking that it's odd that Philly, which is the 4th largest city in the country, has a tiny, unimproved airport, while this place has an enormous modern one. I guess we can tell where the money is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at you--blogging on the road!

I hear good things about the historic sites in Atlanta. Take a look, and have fun.

Robbi N. said...

Hi Lou! I don't know how successful I'll be at getting to those places, but there's a driving tour that will take us to Millidgeville, home of Flannery O'Conner. We may make it there; gas is a bit cheaper here (about $4.00 gal.), so Richard may agree to do that. There are supposed to be all sorts of anti-bellum mansions along the route. I think there's probably a poem in it, anyhow.
This morning I will hit the funky waffle house next door... it's either that or McDonalds. Later, there's a nice looking Japanese place to investigate for lunch. I may wait for dinner, when Richard and his parents arrive.

Robbi N. said...

By the way, I can't get to your blog from here, for some reason! I miss it.