Wednesday, September 10, 2008

biological basis for happiness

It is interesting to read that there is a biological basis for happiness as well as for misery. Of course, it makes sense, and we have intuitively always know it, I suppose. Being a half-empty sort of gal, I have to start my mind off in that direction, or the flywheel of negativity won't allow me to perceive all the pleasures I really have in life, despite difficulties endemic to the circumstances.
It feels corny to "count my blessings" nightly, as the articles on this subject advise, or to turn negative thoughts inside out, but I suppose this kind of task is meant for a person as oppositional and stubborn as myself.

5 comments:

Robert said...

The mathematical state of one's bank balance sometimes has a bearing here!

A healthy balance of everything that tastes good (in moderation) will help biologically too I understand both physically and metaphorically.

One thing you can be grateful for is your climate in California; it has been awful over here this year.

Marley will be back to cheer us up soon Robbi.

Robbi N. said...

Hello Robert. It is true that I live in a beautiful place.
I am from the east (Philadelphia), so I know this. That's why I am here.
As long as I have known Marly (for many years, since college), she has always connected with me in spurts, sometimes for a year or two in between. I know she will always come back sometime, as long as she's able.

Robert said...

A 'Philly' in Calafornia, sorry, could'nt resist that my family would wince at that!

It is seriously sunny today for the first time this month, lifted the spirits here.

Robbi N. said...

Where do you live, Robert? How north is north?

Robert said...

We are in the South West of England. I think the flooding is in Gloucestershire and in the North Country.