Friday, September 5, 2008

More parental stuff

After teaching yesterday, I picked up my parents at the adult day care center and took them to the doctor in Orange. We didn't wait long to get into the back room to be seen, but waited a very long time for the doc to finish with a patient before she got to us. We were early for a 2:00 appt., but weren't seen till about 2:45-3. Then we had to wait till the nurse could take my dad's blood pressure again till about 3:45. My mom started up again on her incessant anxious monologue about being the only people in the building being kept waiting and how we should just get up and leave. I cannot stand that. I was trying to stay calm, but it was just too much for me and I told her finally to shut up.
My dad's blood pressure was very high (170 0ver something) but the second time it was taken, it was great--130 over something. The only difference was that he had time to relax before they took it again. He is still having trouble with his left hand, the problem that caused us to go to the emergency room last time, thinking it was another stroke, this time on the other side. He definitely has more Tourette tics and he doesn't feel well... very tired and depressed. I will probably call the psychiatrist at Veterans and make another appt. The med change he made last time is probably not working out.
He thinks he is going to die soon, and this is possible. At 92, it is always possible. But there is no real medical reason anyone can see for it, particularly.
I feel overloaded and anxious myself. I have to stay calm to handle things.

6 comments:

Rebel Girl said...

I think that feeling overloaded and anxious is to be expected - it is exhausting, mentally and physically - try to take care of yourself during all this...you're still practicing yoga, yes?

Anonymous said...

Robbi,

I am so sorrry,you have to deal with so much by your self!! You are doing all you can.

Beth

Robbi N. said...

Hi Reb. Yes. I try to do yoga at least 5 times per week. Really, I should be doing it daily, but on the other days, when I teach and sometimes have to take my parents places, it is hard to fit in an hour for myself sometimes.
I should at least try to walk down the street a mile or two on those days and to hell with everything!

Robbi N. said...

Thanks Beth. It is difficult to handle all of it by myself, probably not as well as someone more organized than me could do it.
But I just talked to Fred, at IVC library, who lost his 92 year old mom. She had been declining a long time, and had dementia, like my mom.
I have to remind myself I'm lucky to have them, particularly my dad, who is still himself, in fact more himself than he ever was when I was young in some ways.

Anonymous said...

It is overwhelming, Robbi, for you and for them. Just keep believing that the work you do relieves some of the anxiety and suffering for them.

Robbi N. said...

Lou,
My dad is so depressed and upset that he is having so much trouble walking and that his left hand is bothering him. He is afraid he is going to have a big stroke, and he may be right. But it is making his days miserable.
I plan to call Veterans on Monday and see if he can get an appointment with a neurologist. His doctor is loath to probe much into his medical problems, but if it makes him feel better, I will try to arrange it.