Sunday, September 7, 2008

Cleaning House, After a Fashion

If I can't clean house in the world of electorial politics, I can at least attack the more limited mess in my house. Today I did that. I mopped the floor with my disinfectant Swiffer mop, cleaned out the coat closet, throwing out a ton of bags I was storing... way too many to store for our limited circumstances, took down and washed the fabric shower curtain and put up shell hooks on the curtain that look very nice, and some wash, as well as cleaning the requisite cat poo and bathtub and toilet.
I was very tired when I finished, but felt satisfied that I had made some headway. Last week I cleaned up under the bathroom sink, throwing away about 25 lbs at least of crap I have had for as long as I can remember without ever looking at it. I think it is stuff my mother sent me in care packages when Jeremy was little. I can actually store some bottles and things that I've had on the sink and floor in the bathroom in there now! Wow! Now I know what closets are for!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you!!

Robbi N. said...

Thanks! However, as R. points out, there's still plenty of crap in more visible places in the house, notably the dining room table and floor. That's much harder to get rid of because it is bigger, and most of it is books and papers that I cannot get rid of.
I also do not know how to arrange things to make a room look good. And new furniture would probably help too.

Robbi N. said...

Oh, and I want to make room for emergency stuff. We have many of the things we'd need for an earthquake or other emergency, but not all in one place. I want to make up several earthquake bags and put them in the cars and the patio closet or the coat closet, just in case.

Anonymous said...

Awesome Robbi! I am good at furniture arranging. Let me know if you need help. You have a large living room, that could be arranged to not look so crowded.

Beth

Robbi N. said...

I'm open to that. I would like to preserve the yoga/exercise space in the room though. It is the only place in the house where we can exercise, and all of us use it.