Tuesday, September 30, 2008

L'Shanah Tova in the Apocalypse

Lately I feel like it's the end of the world, and I know that I'm not alone. So it's comforting to celebrate the same old cycle of the seasons and the holidays, and to feel that the rising sense of hysteria I hear in the news reports is an illusion, the product of a severely foreshortened perspective rather like that millenialists have, when they prepare, regularly, for the coming of judgment.
How soothing to sing the same songs, see the same faces I've seen for years, and to remember these people as I've known them, having watched their children as well as my own grow up. It made me feel that I need to step back and view the situation we're in now as the feeling of a moment and not of the age.
Whatever happens on Wall Street and in our economy at large and in the election, life will go on. We will all still be muddling along in our little lives, trying, with various levels of success, to be the best people we can. That doesn't mean we should all just step back and let it go on without us, but if things don't turn out the way we envisioned, there will be a way to change things, to cut them to fit the shapes we desire.
Human beings are truthfully not meant to be alone. We need each other, need the web of community to catch us when we fall. I suspect that even if things go horribly wrong, as long as that web persists, we'll bounce back, perhaps better than before.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree Robbi. So much for having a husband! I have a friend who has for at least 12 years, has said to me that, she in lonely. I did not agree or undersand, because she has a husband. Now I see this is true, if you are in a relationship that you are not happy in.

Beth

Anonymous said...

Your words are heartening tonight, Robbi. Thank you.

Robbi N. said...

Beth,
It is certainly possible to be very lonely even in the midst of many people. Ditto for being in a relationship where you are not happy!
Lou,
You're welcome. I'm afraid I'm going to be more of a downer today though.

Rebel Girl said...

xo~