Friday, September 19, 2008

Painful mystery

It's odd. I've been suffering from a hip complaint for the past two years or so. I seem to be out of wack, with one side higher than the other. This sometimes involves a lot of pain. At one point, I could not stand for more than about 15 minutes without suffering excrutiating hip and leg pain that was bad enough to make me weep.
I went to the doctor and got an x-ray, but nothing was visible there. Since I do Iyengar yoga classes at least 5 times per week, and have for years, I was also simultaneously working with my yoga teachers to address this problem, still am, in fact. And I tried acupuncture and a chiropractor too. The pain morphed; it is no longer in the same spot as before; nor is it as painful when I am simply standing or walking. But now, the hamstring attachments hurt at times, and sometimes it is difficult to sleep.
Strangely enough though, a couple of nights ago, I had a throbbing pain in my right index finger, which I interpreted as the beginnings of carpal tunnel. I couldn't sleep. But my hip didn't hurt at all!
Mysterious.

No comments: