Thursday, September 11, 2008

Sept. 11

How can I help thinking back to that day in 2001 when I turned on the radio to hear an apocalyptic scenario--the two towers falling down. I thought it was a "War of the Worlds" redux, and that it could not be real, but when I turned to other stations and switched on the tv, there it was.
I know my reaction was similar to most people's because we all considered ourselves invulnerable then, who knows why? Now we know better.
And so much has happened since then, Katrina, the 2000 election, the Bush administrations, the pet food fiasco... if we ever thought were immune to dishonest elections, the consequences of our wasteful use of energy and abuse of the environment, inept and corrupt government, we found out that that wasn't so.
Yet we are all still here, and we're still struggling to understand all of this and to keep it from getting worse. I wonder if we are fated to simply watch these things happen and whether we can prevent any or all of them from going forward. Hope so.

1 comment:

Robert said...

I know how you feel about the news. It wouldn't be news if it wasn't bad.

A couple of songs can cheer one up I always think, and they come from your side of the pond.

"Singing in the rain" and
"Rain drops keep falling on your head".

We have floods over here in the North!

Chin up!