Friday, September 12, 2008

The Usual Suspect

Working with people presents some conundrums. For one thing, I am drawn to each person's individual story, drawn to be involved in ways that will make doing my job more difficult.
Quite often, for instance, I have students with disabilities of various kinds in my class. Sometimes they do not want to deal with these disabilities officially, by getting help from the college disability office. They have the perverse desire to prove something to themselves and others, but cause problems and misery that way for themselves.
This semester, for example, in my tiny early morning class, I have a student I recognized as one of the above varieties as soon as he walked in the door the first time. He avoided looking me in the face and sat silent the entire time--in fact, he has been silent every time I have seen him in class, and he hasn't missed one yet.
Like a dog that turns three times before settling in for a nap, this student also has his very regular routines. He will circle the room. About 15 minutes before class starts, or even before, I see him wheeling his booksack back in forth, going down the hall and looking in the door, as though to see who is there. He will come in early, sit down, and leave again, returning only about 5-7 minutes late.
I often have students break up into groups to do exercises or discuss texts. He keeps his face averted during these times. Clearly, he cannot or will not engage in such interactions, but I am not sure what to do. In the past, I had a student with aspergers in my class, and no one, of course, told me of his problem or what I should do about it. I worked out some ways of dealing with it, and the student passed the class. In his case, the student groups worked to his advantage. I took them aside and told them to help him out, since it was summer, and there was no help for him at the disabled student's office anyway. Each student in the group helped him along with tasks like emailing his assignments to me, and discussed the assignment with him to help him out with things that were difficult for him, second nature for the rest of them. He was very bright, just tone deaf to things like motivation, emotion, etc., all essential for analysis of literary texts like that I was asking for.
This latest student, however, seems to be very different. While he clearly is listening, his eyes intent upon me and full of thought, and I know from experience that he can write clearly and directly, there are many things I ask for, including this frequent group work, typing papers, attention to email I send, and sometimes sending me assignments via email, that he cannot do. He has told me straight out he does not know how to type or to use a computer, and the DSPS (disabled students' office) tells me two other professors have urged him to go there without success. It has become clear that he is unwilling or unable to ask for assistance of any kind, even something so small as to ask for a pencil and paper to do the work others are doing in class. He will not come meet me on a day when he does not have my class; before class is too early to do anything like taking him to the DSPS office; immediately after class I have another class to teach, and he has classes all day after that. He also will not work with the students in his group.
My son, when I told him about this, as I often do, had the common sense solution: just let him fail. You care too much, he said. I hate to admit defeat, being just as perverse as any of my students. I will continue to think about this, to work out some sort of solution. Until then, maybe some of you can help.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robinka,

Left you a note elsewhere and am just under the gun--it's only the second week of school, but things are entirely too lively. Mea culpa. You are not the only person I'm not e-visiting and owe responses!

Have you asked him what solution he can imagine? Can he pay for typing and have the typist email you? Can he work with one other student instead of a group? Does he live at home or on campus--does he have a family member who might share some information if he feels uncomfortable?

Robbi N. said...

Hi Marly. He won't meet with me to discuss these options, and since he walks out until class has already started, I can't discuss them before class. I can't see him after class; both he and I have other classes immediately afterwards!

Robbi N. said...

Those are all good ideas though.
No one lives on campus. It's a community college. He rides the Access bus (for handicapped people) so either lives with parents/others or by himself. I don't know. I could call him though I don't like doing it.

Robert said...

I am trying to pick up clues from what you have said but an expert really needs much or detail. (like does he sit at the front or back of the class for choice); I will try and assimilate a list for you to answer and pass on.

What ever age and stage of education he is at, it was your comment

“While he clearly is listening, his eyes intent upon me and full of thought, and I know from experience that he can write clearly and directly, there are many things I ask for, including this frequent group work, typing papers, attention to email I send, and sometimes sending me assignments via email, that he cannot do.”

that has some small bells ringing, especially the first three phrases here. His reluctance to get help or participate in the group is also worrying.

My advice is to report upwards in writing with as much detail as possible voicing your extreme concern as soon as possible. Expert help is I am sure needed, and every day that is wasted without that help is lost to him and increases the risk of the consequences of failure which can, in extreme cases, be wide spread. Marley knows where I come from in this field; I think I told her sometime ago.

Robbi N. said...

Thanks Robert. I know he is disabled, have known it since I first laid eyes on him. I would guess autism. I went to the disabled students' office the very first week of class to discuss him and was told there is nothing I can do if he does not assent to ask for assistance himself. I would take him there, but as I have said, there is no time to do it. And he won't come meet me at another time on campus so I could possibly take him then.
Two other professors have voiced their concern, last year, but I fear that since I do most of my communication with students about assignments and give them the texts and information they need online, he will not be able to pass unless he gets assistance. Even if I give him copies of the texts and call him with information (and that's a lot of extra work for me), I probably won't be able to cover all the things he needs that way.

Robbi N. said...

Robert, Re: England, I have a number of relatives there. My mom is from South Africa. Her parents were from Lithuania. I have relatives all over the world. I myself have been stuck here, going to school (for much of my life) then working (for the other part) though I've been to England and Scotland once, years ago.

Robbi N. said...

Marly,
The student evidently doesn't know he has a problem. He won't acknowledge or discuss it anyhow.

Robert said...

Autistic people often have exceptional gifts(?). I do not know how your system works, but over here he would have 'a file' big enough to fill a whole cabinet. If you have told someone (in writing) then at least you have covered yourself should there be a disaster.

You, as one of his teachers should be properly briefed on this strengths and problems and given help with strategies for his learning . This can only be done by a trained Educational Psychologist who would have assessed him. This at least gives his teachers an idea of how he learns and what potential he has.

Without knowing an achievable aim you are really wasting your time!


England
You must come back here again now the dollar is stronger.

Robbi N. said...

Marly,
I got your rose, but not your note. Where is it? Email me!!
Robert, I'm fully aware (believe me) that I'm not qualified to do this alone, and I didn't go to DSPS just to cover my posterior. I really do want to help this kid. I can see he has a good mind in there, but how do I get to it? If he won't go, I can't make him. That's how things work here.