Friday, October 31, 2008

Boo!

Tonight is Halloween. I dressed up in costumes long after I was an adult, but don't do it anymore. Takes too much time; plus, I don't want candy, certainly don't need it.
Still, I had a lot of fun in the past thinking up weird costumes, even if no one ever realized what I was supposed to be. The best costumes were those the women at my college when I was an undergrad used to wear. They had verve and imagination. For example, there was the Budweiser 6 pack that stopped and sang the theme song every once in a while, and, a variation on the theme, a set of ovaries. There was Wyeth's painting, Christina's world, the part of Christina played by a flame-headed gay woman named Emily, in her pink shirtwaist.
I personally had some interesting costumes... like the Superfly outfit (not the movie, the giant fly/superhero of my own imagining). I did a poetry reading with the little fly tongue rolled up on my nose, bobbing up and down. At this same reading I gave the "Fatty Arbuckle gold coke bottle prize" for best reading.
Not many people come to my door on Halloween, but I'll be ready for those who do show.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite was my flow-through tea bag. Or maybe Mad Hatter... My mother made me wonderful costumes when I was little.

This year we had Il Dottore and an artfully painted zombie. The absent child was also an Il Dottore, I believe. Odd!

(The W-V was shicsa! I think they do this on purpose.)

Robbi N. said...

I absolutely love the flow-through tea bag. How lucky you were! My mother was so disappointed with my insane ideas for costumes, like the time I insisted on being a number 2 pencil, topped with an eraser, or the lightbulb. She wanted me to wear a gypsy costume or be a black cat, something designed to show off my budding graces. For her sake I did, though it bored and embarrassed me.
What is the W-V? And how was it a shiksa?