Saturday, October 4, 2008

What a Day!

Even though my mother's birthday was yesterday, we had a birthday lunch for her today, as I said. I went to pick up my parents straight after yoga, and changed mom out of the 2 superimposed outfits she had on, as usual, into a new outfit I bought for her birthday. She lost weight and looked nice in the smaller stuff I got for her. That is worrisome because she doesn't eat much, as I said.
We stopped at the Zion market, which has a beautiful French-Korean style bakery, and bought a birthday cake, and then went on to the restaurant. I parked in a handicapped spot right in front of the place, but just as I was taking the take out of the back of the car, and closed the trunk, I saw that my mother had been standing behind the car, and had put her hand inside the trunk. I nearly cut off her finger. I was in so much shock I couldn't do anything. I screamed, and Richard and Jeremy came out.
Needless to say, that was the end of the party for a long while. I took her to the Walk In Clinic a few blocks away, and we spent the afternoon there getting her nail cut off and her hand bandaged. I felt terrible. I had no idea she was there, but I did know that she had a problem putting her fingers and hands in places where they ought not to be. I felt terrible, nearly as bad as she did, I think.
We finally came back to the restaurant a few hours later and had lunch. It was good, but I think I like Beach Pit better because of the sweet potato fries.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn! How is your mom now? The same thing happened to my son when he was about 12. I too felt terrible, but, it was a accident.

Beth

Anonymous said...

Oh no, I am so sorry!!

Robbi N. said...

She's okay. The pain killers keep the pain down, but she's very stoic, so unlike the way she used to be when she wasn't out of it.